Friday, August 03, 2007

New Shoes

I don't have very many pairs of shoes and I rarely shop for shoes, so that information helps this story make a little bit more sense.

I was out for a day of grocery shopping this week and made my usual stop at Target (my favorite place to shop) to browse a little and thought that I would venture over to the shoe section to see if I could find some black open-toed heels for my brother's wedding next month. (I am a bridesmaid and I need to find my shoes ASAP).

I didn't find anything I wanted in the first aisle, so I peeked down the next one and was instantly excited to see tons of 75% off signs! I started to peruse the clearanced summer shoes and suddenly I saw them...

an angelic chorus started to sing,
the heavens opened and
a bright, beautiful light beamed down
on THE pair of shoes - -

not the ones for the wedding, but the allusive pair that I have been imagining ever since I bought a brown sundress months and months ago. I have never even worn the dress yet (partly for lack of opportunity and partly for lack of shoes). These were the shoes that I had always envisioned going with my dress and here they were in Target on the 75% off rack.

They were brown, open toed high heeled dress sandals with an air of "I will probably trip and kill myself" impracticality. I slipped one on and it fit like a glove. I looked at the price tag and saw $4.48 and I was beside myself. Not only was that amazingly cheap, I had a $5 Target Giftcard burning a hole in my pocket.

This was my first stop of the day, so the rest of the morning and afternoon, all I could do was think about when I would get home and be able to wear my new shoes. I even had a fleeting thought of putting them on right then and finishing out my grocery shopping in my jeans and high heeled sandals, but I decided I would need to practice in them before I went prancing around in public.

I finally arrived home, got the perishables put away and whipped out my new shoes. A quick check in the closet showed that they matched the dress perfectly and within seconds I was taking care of the rest of the groceries in my new high heels. I felt so adorable and grown up and after about 3 minutes, I realized that my feet were beginning to hurt and after about 4 minutes it became kind of excruciating, and after about 5 minutes I was ready to call an ambulance. How could this be??? I examined the situation and it appears that all five toes on each foot wants to go through the open toe area when the shoe really only accommodates 2-3 toes peeking out per foot.

This is ridiculous and what is even more ridiculous is that I continue to try them on almost every day, taking a little walk around the house, admiring them in the mirror, envisioning them with the dress and I still plan on wearing them someday even though the longest I have survived was that original 5 minutes....

Maybe I should buy shoes more often and then situations like this wouldn't be so traumatic!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jen,
It was great to see you the other day.
Maybe we could hook up for coffee or tea or water or pop or o.j. or beer or gatorade or...well...you get the picture.

Have a great weekend