Sunday, June 26, 2005

Psalm 3 - Sprouting like Mushrooms

I was having a case of Blog Block, but I moved on to Psalm 3 and I think that I feel a post coming on...

LORD, how are they increased that trouble me! many are they that rise up against me.2 Many there be which say of my soul, There is no help for him in God. Selah.3 But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. 4 I cried unto the LORD with my voice, and he heard me out of his holy hill. Selah.5 I laid me down and slept; I awaked; for the LORD sustained me.6 I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people, that have set themselves against me round about.7 Arise, O LORD; save me, O my God: for thou hast smitten all mine enemies upon the cheek bone; thou hast broken the teeth of the ungodly.8 Salvation belongeth unto the LORD: thy blessing is upon thy people. Selah.

History: Thank goodness for the New Century Version which added the sentence in Verse 1 :
David sang this when he ran away from his son Absalom.
Having a little background helps and it is time for a confession. I cannot remember things!!! Specifically, historical and geographical things. There are a zillion things that I can remember (some of them being totally unnecessary such as Meijer's slogan from years ago "Meijer Thrifty Acres, why pay more?" and seriously, why pay more?), but ask me where a country is, or a continent for that matter and I stare at you blankly. Ask me when a war occurred, or who was involved or even who won major events like World War II and the stare returns. It is awful and embarrassing, but makes for a good chuckle when playing Trivial Pursuit. I am not sure why I am this way. I understand these facts as I read them, but they only stay around for a fleeting moment and then they waft away to the abyss. God took pity on me and gave me Daniel who is a genius on all of the above (and just about everything else as far as I am concerned, except for spelling. He can't spell.) and patiently explains things again and again and again. Biblical history is no exception and it infuriates me that I have read the Bible cover to cover many times and I cannot remember how certain events and places relate. I know who David is and I know who Absalom his and I know why David was running from Absalom, but I never would have remembered that this was the scenario for the composition of Psalm 3. Oh well, back to our story.

Summary: David is requesting help from God against his enemies that are pursuing him. He also declares the Lord's protection.

Favorite Part for me right now:
Not only does God take away my fears, he actually allows me to sleep during perilous times (Verse 5)

Point to Ponder: Why does The Message interpret verse 1 as:
GOD! Look! Enemies past counting! Enemies sprouting like mushrooms,

Why mushrooms? How in tarnation did they pick "sprouting like mushrooms" from all of the many, many examples that could be used to show that enemies were multiplying and coming out of nowhere. Just a thought?

I had a wonderful evening with a bunch of crazy and insane women. Thanks for saying that you enjoy reading my blog. It makes me feel good.

Enough for tonight.

No comments: