Saturday, November 22, 2008

Respite Anyone?

I am sorry that I have been MIA for awhile, but it has been nuts around here. First and foremost, my husband and I are now official licensed Foster Parents!!! To celebrate, we provided respite for 3 siblings last weekend whose Foster Mother was sick. It started out a bit on the frantic side as we got the call on Friday morning and they were interested in us taking the kids that same day. We had one big problem, however...we only had 2 beds. So, they decided to wait until Saturday to drop off the kids and we spent Friday afternoon, evening, and Saturday morning buying a set of bunk beds, mattresses, bedding, groceries, etc. Then there was cleaning out the rooms, getting everything in place and finding our minds that we lost somewhere in the middle of it all!

So, we went from a family of 2 to a family of 5 for 2 days and it sure was exhausting. The kids were 10,7, and 6 and for the most part it worked out pretty well. The oldest, however, got sick which certainly put a damper on her time. All in all, everyone survived and I think that we just might do it again sometime.

On Monday I kind of felt like I had been run over by a bus and so I was pretty slow going and didn't even wash the sheets or towels from our little visitors. I decided that could wait until Tuesday and guess what...a call came at 10:30 p.m. on Monday asking if we could house a 13 year old girl for the night. Thankfully my always thinking mother-in-law had given us an extra set of sheets for the full size bed one time and so we were able to freshen the room up before she arrived at midnight. This was a very short visit as she had to be at school at 7:20 a.m. the next morning (did I mention that school for her was 1/2 hour away and that it was snowing!!!) Once again, we all survived.

So, I am just now starting to get caught up on everything and hopefully will be blogging a little more regularly....maybe.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Crash Course in parenting for you!!! But you did great and you survived as did the kids, so that is wonderful! :)
Congratulations on entering Foster Parenthood.
Love you!