Monday, February 06, 2006

Hot Pursuit

Once upon a time in a land far, far away, (not really) there was a young woman (this would be me) who attended a church that had a Pastor (we will call him Scott) who gave dynamic and passionate sermons. For the most part, this young woman didn't have any trouble paying attention, but this Pastor (who we are calling Scott) would occasionally get so impassioned that he would entreat the congregation to be in "hot pursuit " of something (usually the Gospel, or Christ, or something else that was good to pursue). This is where the young woman's attention would flee. You see, she grew up in a home of avid Dukes of Hazard fans and her father in particular felt a type of kindredness to one Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane. It was a common occurance for her father to grab his seat belt when in the family station wagon, bring the big silver buckle up to his mouth and say "That's a big ten four good buddy. This is Rosco P. Coltrane and we are in hot pursuit!" The young woman and her sister and brother were usually either impressed or mortified depending on who was with them at the time. Therefore, it was very hard for this young woman to take the phrase "hot pursuit" seriously. Whenever she heard it, she was instantly transported to this memory, which was followed with remembering what a fine piece of writing that Dukes of Hazzard was and then what a fine man that Bo Duke was and then what a fine dresser that Daisy Duke was and you can see why it took all of her strength to pull herself back to the sermon at hand. Occasionally, this Pastor would even use the phrase twice in the same message, and then the poor girl was entirely lost.

You may wonder why I am sharing this story today. It is possible that it is just a random memory that has surfaced, but in reality it is because the young woman had to deal with this problem yet again. She was attending a House Church last night and a young man (I will call him Chris...no wait, that is too obvious. I will call him Roger) was leading a discussion and from out of nowhere "hot pursuit" surfaced once again. And yes, Roger said it twice and yes the young woman was lost and that is why she felt she must share her story.

The End.

2 comments:

Scott said...

I laughed out loud when I read this! Thanks for the humor. I always smile when I think of Daisy and the fun I used to have watching "them Dukes, them Dukes."
I'm also happy to know that you continue to pursue the things that matter most!
By the way, great use of D's picture! And I'm with you D, on the whole teletubbies things. They're awful.

Danielle said...

I laughed out lod, too, but when I read it to Erica I could hardly catch my breath and had tears in my eyes!


Still wondering where you got the pic.

Down with Teletubbies!